Album Review: The Saturdays - On Your Radar


Buy The Saturdays - "On Your Radar" [Album] - HERE (UK)/HERE (IR)

UK pop group The Saturdays debuted in 2008 with their debut single "If This Is Love" which achieved success, charting in the Top 10. Fast forward to now, they have scored ten Top 10 singles and released four studio albums. Can't say their finding much success on the charts in the last couple of weeks because their third single "My Heart Takes Over" entered the UK Singles Charts at #15. The album "On Your Radar"did a lot worse only debuting at #23, making it the first album to miss the Top 10.

Now putting all that aside, The Saturdays managed to deliver some good material on "On Your Radar". Check review and thoughts, after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (4/5)
Lyrical Content: (3/5)
Production: (3/5)


All Fired Up
I liked "All Fired Up" when I first heard it. The video was nothing surprising and was lacking a shit load. The dark concept fit great with the song, but of course as always the girls limited themselves in choreography department. (4/5)


Notorious
"Notorious" was the first time The Saturdays stepped into dance/electro music. It sounded unique and wasn't anything I expected from them. I originally thought they were going to release the same stuff they've been releasing. The harmonies during the chorus are killer, is I'm not mistaking that has to be Frankie doing that bit. (5/5)


Faster
"Faster" is about reminiscing on a relationship. I don't have nothing negative to say about it, but the constant repeating of the word "Faster" during the chorus.  (3/5)


My Heart Takes Over
Unlike The Saturdays previous ballads, by far "My Heart Takes Over" has to be the worst. I can't pen point actually what I don't like about, its just not good ballad. The video wasn't any better either, they were standing in a field singing and that's all. The only positive I have about the song is how great the vocal delivery is. (1/5)


Get Ready, Get Set
Get Ready, Get Set was produced by Xenomania who has also done the first track "All Fired Up". Xenomania has also responsible for creating all of Girls Aloud's music. I can't say this can compete with Girls Aloud material, but its fun and energetic track. The song’s completely soporific; the beat sounds all over the place and the vocal arrangement sounded like a high school cheer. (4/5)


The Way You Watch Me (Feat. Travie McCoy)
"The Way You Watch Me" is one word..........."AWFUL". Even if Travie McCoy wasn't on the song, it still be shit. I don't have anything else to say about it, its just simply awful. Wow, this is the first time out of all my album reviews, that I actually gave a 0 for a song. (0/5)


For Myself
"For Myself" is a mixture of r&b and electro pop. I have to say Una, Rochelle, and Vanessa vocals stood out. Frankie and Mollie pretty much vanished out of thin air, but I'm sure they were doing background vocals. I hope the rest of the album continues to deliver. (4.5/5)


Do What You Want with Me
When I heard the 'ooh oh oh ooh' bits in "Do What You Want With Me" it immediately grabbed my attention. The production on the track is grade A, the drums underneath their voices are amazing. (4/5)


Promise Me
"Promise Me" starts out great, but when Vanessa sings "You Promise Me Me The The World" and so on, it sound very whinny and annoying. Besides that part its amazing song, the dubstep break towards the end was a perfect addition. (4/5)


Wish I Didn't Know
"Wish I Didn't Know" is a bittersweet pop ballad. I not sure if  I wish I didn't know about whats my signification other was doing or was keeping from me. But anyway the song is lovely. If you listen, the lyrics tell a story. (3.5/5)


White Lies
For some reason "White Lies" isn't really that listenable. I feel like the beat is drowning out their voices aka overpowering them. It's hard to focus on what they are saying or who is saying what. This is something I wouldn't listen to a second time. (2/5)


Last Call
"Last Call" features much less production and sound a lot more grown up than the other ballads. Everything from the piano melody, the beautiful harmonies were fantastic. It's a very emotional song, I even found myself a little teary eyed afterwards. The one who really shined on this song was no doubt Vanessa. (5/5)



Bonus Tracks:

I Say Ok 
"I Say Ok" sounds a bit like a female empowerment track. I hardly hear these type of songs from them. I think the lyrics could have been written a lot better. (3/4)


Move On U
"Move On U" is the final track of the album. In my opinion, its just an average dance song. I love Una's voice on this the best. (4/5)




Verdict
There are some good tracks on this album but a lot production meaning the beats sounds similar. I'am satisfied with it but I'm not impressed. My exceptions were huge, I expected something different besides a bunch of generic material. As I think about this isn't too far from what they've released on their previous albums. Its the similar songs with a dance/club vibe to it. Vocally Rochelle, Vanessa, Una shined, while Mollie and Frankie sunk terribly. Their so terrible to the point were I wasn't even listening for them.

Overall Rating: (3.5/5)

Comments

Popular Posts