Album Review: Wonder Girls - Wonder World


Buy Wonder Girls - "Wonder World" [Album] - HERE

The Wonder Girls weren't one of my favorites up until now. I didn't have anything against them, I just didn't like what they were putting out before this album. The Wonder Girls have spent two years away from the k-pop, to work on their debut album and movie in the US.

People were anticipating their Korean comeback for a long time, and their back with great single "Be My Baby" and amazing new album "Wonder World". Check out my review after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (4.5/5)
Lyrical Content: (5/5)
Production: (5/5)


G.N.O.
G.N.O stands for "Girls Night Out". The fun, uptempo dance track was composed by the very own Wonder Girls "Yeeun". Its sounds amazing and is very well written. Is it single worthy? Yes, but seeing it performed live for the first time, it wasn't so great. I felt their were too many dancers and visually it was lacking.

For an opener, its a great track. If they were to record this in English, it could be massive on the US clubs charts. (5/5)



Be My Baby
When I first time heard "Be My Baby", I wasn't in love with it. You can tell it was written by JYP, because the signature trademark "JYP" can be hear in the beginning of the song. I didn't like retro feeling in the song and the music video. As for the video, the girls teamed up with Beyonce's choreographer Jonte. You'll see some similar between this video and "Single Ladies". The video has been criticized, but I don't see anything wrong with dancing. It fits the song fine.

This song is available for digital downloads on iTunes and Korean online music store. "Be My Baby" also available in English featured on their new album "Wonder World" on iTunes. (3/5)



Girls Girls
"Girls Girls" is dedicated to the ladies everywhere. This song starts off with nice rhythm and its a real feel good about yourself song. It's very enjoyable. (4/5)


Me, in
On track 4 the album takes a turn with "Me, in". The song has an edgy rock sound, its accompanied by a electric guitar and good rhythms. It was first shown in their first video teaser for the new album. (4/5)


Sweet Dreams
Once again, here's another song with an retro concept, but its not a disappointment. "Sweet Dreams" is a funky dance pop song. (3.5/5)


Stop!
This track is Pop/Rock with a 1970's disco vibe. For me its just alright. (3/5)


Dear. Boy
"You make me sad and cry again", is my favorite line of "Dear. Boy".  The song is mellow and has a warm feeling to it. It's a basic smooth R&B track. (4/5)


두고두고 (Do Go Do Go)
"두고두고 (Do Go Do Go)" is another smooth R&B track, perhaps more R&B than the previous ballad right above ("Dear Boy"). Once again The Wonder Girls displays some great vocals on this one. (4/5)


SuperB
"Super B" is the most electronic sounding sounding song on the album. Its a duet between group members Yubin & Sohee. I don't care for this song that much. (2/5)


Act Cool (Feat. San E)
"Act Cool" features JYP labelmate rapper San E. This particular track contains mostly rap and is Lim's solo. Not a bad track at all, but I can't say I would replay it over and over again like I do with some of the other tracks. In all Lim did a awesome job with San E. (4/5)



Be My Baby (Ra.D Mix)
"Be My Baby (Ra.D Mix)" is jazzy stripped down version of their lead single. It's contains more of a piano vibe and less of the uptempo song with all the other beats going on in the background. Either way is stills sounds great, this would be perfect for a for acoustic performance.


Nu Shoes
Now we have the closing track from Wonder World titled "Nu Shoes". Rarely you'll like a like the last track of album and this is pretty good. They sing about how much they love shoes. In the beginning I was like "What" but while listening to the rest, I found myself bobbing my head to it. (4/5)


Be My Baby (Eng. Version)
Of course the English version for "Be My Baby" is much better than the Korean mostly because I can understand the lyrics much better. (4/5)




Verdict
In all Wonder World a great album, kinda surprised to say that, because I wasn't a big fan of them before. This album has a heavy America sound in it, which I like. For someone like me who doesn't speak Korean, it makes the music much more listenable. 

Wonder World has a strong collection of songs and is definitely one of the best K-Pop albums to come out this year.

Overall Rating: (4.5/5)

Comments

Popular Posts