Album Review: Jason Derülo - Future History


Buy Jason Derülo - "Future History" [Album] - HERE 
Buy Jason Derülo - "Future History (Deluxe Edition)" [Album] - HERE 

Jason Derülo is back with his sopohomore album "Future History", the follow up to his successful self titled debut album released back in 2009. The first single released for the project was the insanely generic and catchy tune "Dont Wanna Go Home" which peaked at #14 on the Billboard Hot 100. The current second single "It Girl" is siting at #19. 

When you find success with your debut album and its hard to find the same with the second. He had some top producers like J.R. Rotem, RedOne, and more work on the album. Do his album rise to the occasion, check out the after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (3.5/5)
Lyrical Content: (2/5)
Production: (3.5/5)


Don't Wanna Go Home
"Don't Wanna Go Home" is unoriginal in every way possible, but its catchy as hell. This one is meant for the clubs. It became a worldwide hit, peaking at #1 on UK Single Charts and #14 on the Billboard Hot 100. Check the music video below (4.5/5)


It Girl
This was the second single from the album, Jason slows it down for the ladies. The is song smooth, pure and it talks about finding that it girl. Check out music video below. (3/5)


Breathing
"Breathing" is very dance driven......literally. I can say, I could play this and not get tried of it. Listen to the track below. (5/5)


Be Careful
I love "Be Careful", its a mid tempo pop record. It's single material. (4/5)

Make It Up as We Go
"Make It Up As We Go" is disappointing and once again generic. "Don't Wanna Go Home" was generic but the difference is this has no mass appeal what so ever. (1/5)


Fight for You
The beat on "Fight for You" starts out great, then it turns a bit sour. Like the message, but its not a favorite. (3/5)

Pick Up the Pieces
"Pick Up The Pieces" is high schoolish. I probably could see myself listen to this back in early 2000's, when I was in middle school, but not now. (2/5)


Givin' Up
Not feeling it. (1/5)

Bleed Out
The girly voice has to go on this one and fast. It's very 2000's. First and last time listening to this. (1/5)

That's My Shhh
This has Trey "fucking" Songz written all over it. I can't help but to think about Trey when I listen to this. The whole baby making persona doesn't fit him, I can see it for Usher, Trey, but not Jason. I hate to say but I enjoyed the hell out this song. Listen to wanna be "Trey Songz" track below. (4/5)


X
Not sure if it was a good thing to call this "X", if the song is about your ex. Anyway this is a thumbs down.(1/5)

Dumb
I don't understand why some people didn't like this track, it sounds amazing. (5/5)


Deluxe Edition Tracks

Overdose
When song started to play, my mind right to of Cherish's 2007 record "Killa", because the intro of it sounds very similar. The song itself sucks..........Sorry. (1/5)

Give it to Me
Many many artists uses auto-tune today and some don't need to. Jason is one of them. I only have two words to describe this song.............. PURE SHIT. (0/5)



Verdict
In all this album had a lot of weak spots and mean a lot. No Shade but no wonder why this album peaked at #29 and sold 13,000 copies in the first week. Before I listened to it, I was wondering why it did so badly and now I know.

I like Jason's music, but this was lackluster album. Sometime down the line, when he starts the recording for the third album, he needs to step outside of his comfort zone. He got to give us something different besides what being put in front of us now.

Overall Rating: (2/5)

Comments

Popular Posts