Album Review: Beyoncé - 4


Beyoncé's highly anticipated studio album "4" has finally arrived. Unlike her last two albums, the pop diva goes back to her R&B roots. The album "4" has production from Kanye West, Switch, The-Dream, Babyface, Ryan Tedder, Consequence, Diane Warren, Shea Taylor and Symbolyc One. 

Check my first official review of Beyoncé's fourth studio album "4".

Vocal Delivery: (5/5)
Lyrical Content: (4.5/5)
Production: (4/5)


1+1
The song was first heard on the American Idol finale and then was released on iTunes. The track was originally The-Dream's but clearly B did a far better job at singing it. I loved it when I first heard it, she gives you very intense vocals and emotion. (4/5)

I Care
Beyoncé sings about how much she was hunt in a relationship by her no good man. You can hear the pain and the venerability in the hear voice. (4/5)

I Miss You
The lyrics are simple, its about missing the person that you love and care about (Jay-Z). It could easily fit on her last album "I Am…". The track is another great ballad but it could have been a bit longer. (3/5)

Best Thing I Never Had
The Babyface penned track could possibly be the breakup anthem of 2011. The song very similar to her previous hit single "Irreplaceable". The track is piano driven from the beginning to the end. Even though "Run The World (Girls)" is also a female anthem, this anthem has more substances and meaning. I can relate more to this one. (4.5/5)

Party (feat. Andre 3000)
This is the first non-ballad track on "4" and only album feature. Kanye West and Andre 3000 both give some solid rap verses, while B puts it down. I like the throw back 90's vibe on it but its going to take me some time to love it. (2/5)

Rather Die Young
For me this is just an album track, I can't see this becoming a single. When it starts its a little depressing and it gives a 70's motown sound. This has to be on my least favorites. (2/5)

Start Over
This is one of my favorites from "4". Beyoncé sings about wanting to start a relationship over from the beginning, so she could make things better. The bridge of the song shows the most venerability. (5/5)

Love On Top
"Love On Top" is a song that's going have to grow on you (a least for me). The song is a fun R&B/old school, it also sounds like something the Jackson 5 would have sung.  Beyoncé sounds confident and sings happily about a lover that can do no wrong. (2/5)

Countdown
The hood anthem (is what I like to call it) samples Boys II Men Uhh Ahh. Its another song that I think needs to be released as a single. The island flavored track is another album cut that uses instruments heavily, the drums, horns and anything else. "Countdown" is the "Get Me Bodied" of this album in my opinion. (5/5)


End of Time
This is SCREAMINGGGGGGG for a single release. The African/tribal inspired track make you want to get up and dance, the intro is very addictive. Beyoncé's fast pace singing and energy is absolutely sick. Their is nothing like this on radio or on the charts at the moment. She was a FOOL for not picking this for the first single, let's pray this is going to be the third single. (5/5) 

I Was Here
Another solid ballad but I think Beyoncé shouldn't be singing something like this until she's around 40 or 50 years old. She has a lot more to accomplish in her career. The song was written by one of the greatest song writers Diana Warren. Diana stated in a interview, saying this song was one of the best songs she's ever written.....................I have to disagree on that.(2/5)

Run The World (Girls)
Didn't like at all when it first came out, its heavily samples Major Lazer and clearly wasn't a good choice for a first single. When I first heard it, I was like "What the hell" but it took me listening to it like a 1,000 times to get into in. You'll either love it or hate it. (3.5/5)


Deluxe Edition Songs

Lay Up Under Me
Its a fun, sexy, and very old-school. Basically Beyoncé is telling her man instead of going out to club tonight come and say with me. (3.8/5)

Schoolin’ Life
The second deluxe edition track talks about how you should enjoy life. On the Prince inspired track B gives us the freaky side of her voice. (3.3/5)

Dance for You
Here is another slow jam from Queen Bee. I have to say this track oozes sex all over it, if this doesn't get you in that mood, then I don't know what will. Out of all the deluxe edition tracks this is the best hands down. (5/5)



Verdict
The fans that are use to Beyonce's pop music probably will not like this album, its jammed packed with R&B music. She took a huge risk and I'm glad she did because actually show casing her singing. Their is three tracks that I can do without, overall its good album.

Overall Rating: (3.9/5)

Comments

Popular Posts