Album Review: Demi Lovato - Unbroken



Buy Demi Lovato - "Unbroken" [Album] - HERE

Demi Lovato's third studio album "Unbroken" was released last week (Tuesday) September 20th, and has made a huge comeback to music. Demi had a really tough time last year (2010), she was battling bulimia and severe depression and other issues. She successfully completed rehab and is back on the right track. When you listen to the album, you can hear her sing about those personal struggles.

Demi told MTV about "Unbroken" and said: "I think it's grown-up, but it's not too grown-up". She continued, "It's not tasteless. It's growing up with my fans. It's [like] I’m not a kid anymore, but I’m also not a full-grown woman either. So I'm in that in-between stage, trying to figure out where that is. So I'm figuring it out, just like my fans are".

On "Unbroken" Demi has R&B, pop, and dance songs. It includes chart topping single "Skyscraper". Features include Timbaland, Missy Elliott, Jason Derü, Dev and IYAZ. Here is my review on 15-track album. Check it out after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (4.5/5)
Lyrical Content: (3.5/5)
Production: (4/5)


All Night Long (Feat. Missy Elliott & Timbaland)
Surprisely, Demi got Missy Elliott on the track, note she hasn't recorded new material in the past 6 years. The track was produced by one of Missy's best friends Timbaland, who also has rap in the song. It contains various genres, including rock and a banging hip-hop beat that sticks out like sore thump. This is a straight up club track that makes you want to get up and dance. I have to label this as my favorite uptempo track on the album. (5/5)

 All Night Long Ft Missy Elliott & Timbaland by Demi Lovato Official

Who's That Boy (Feat. Dev)
The second track features electro/hip-hop Dev on "Who's That Boy". This song is fun and upbeat, it's about looking for that special boy. The song is an uptempo, but the beat is not in you face like track #1, "All Night Long". It's a nice song overall, but it's not my favorite. (3/5)

 Who's That Boy - feat. Dev by Demi Lovato Official

You're My Only Shorty (Feat. IYAZ)
We have another fun upbeat track, that features IYAZ. I have to say, Demi channeling her inner Mariah Carey because in some parts of the song. She was hitting those high ass notes, which was impressive. Basically IYAZ says to that she's the one and only for him. Even though we're going into Fall season, this would be a perfect song for the summer.

 You're My Only Shorty Ft Iyaz by Demi Lovato Official

Together (Feat. Jason Derülo)
Demi and Jason Derülo comes "Together," on this next track. The two sing about getting though the hard times and fighting the hatred. I sure a lot of us out their has been hated on or what the case may be. The chorus stuck out the most and Demi's and Jason vocals mash well together. (4/5)

 Together Ft Jason Derülo by Demi Lovato Official

Lightweight
"Lightweight" is a ballad and is another favorite. Demi's vocals were on point. As soon as she started to sing, I was pretty much done. This is when the vulnerability begins on the album. This song shows really shows that she can sing. (5/5)

 Lightweight by Demi Lovato Official

Unbroken
With this one, I was expecting something totally different like a big ballad. The track opens with an electro beat. The chorus is catchy but I don't think it lives up to all of it's full potential.  (3/5)

 Unbroken by Demi Lovato Official

Fix a Heart
"Fix a Heart" and "Mistake" is some what similar, when come to the lyrics. Unlike "Mistake" this one shows more vulnerability. (3.5/5)

 Fix a Heart by Demi Lovato Official

Hold Up
"Hold Up" is a mid-tempo electro-pop record. Sounds like a leftover track from one of Selena Gomez's recording sessions (No Shade). Overall, it's catchy, but its lacking a lot. (2/5)

 Hold Up by Demi Lovato Official

Mistake
Not feeling this one, on the positive side the vocals are again impressive. I think any girl/woman has a breaking point and decides not to put up with their crap anymore. You could can kinda say this song and Beyonce's "Best Thing I've Never Had" has some similarities. (2.5/5)

 Mistake by Demi Lovato Official

Give Your Heart a Break
"Give Your Heart a Break" sounds very 80's and 90's pop inspired. Demi sings to the love of her life to love her no matter what happened in the past or present. The violin in the beginning reminds me of Coldplay's "Viva la Vida". It's a beat driven inspirational ballad. (4/5)

 Give Your Heart a Break by Demi Lovato Official

Skyscraper
"Skyscraper" is the first single from "Unbroken" and has proved to be a success. The vocals aren't outstanding like some of the tracks on the album, but has a strong message. (4.5/5)

 Skyscraper by Demi Lovato Official

In Real Life
"In Real Life" gets a bit repetitive at times. Besides that I liked it and it makes you question the difference between dream and reality. (3/5)

 In Real Life by Demi Lovato Official

My Love Is Like a Star
"My Love Is Like a Star" is a slow jam. It's soulful and it sounds like something I think Keri Hilson or JoJo would record. I'm noticing her voice can handle not just pop records but R&B ones too. (5/5)

 My Love Is Like a Star by Demi Lovato Official

For the Love of a Daughter
This has to be one of most personal songs from the whole album. It's about the relationship between a father and his daughter. I think the song ties in with her personal life, I've heard that Demi's father hasn't been in her life for a large amount of time. I can personally relate to this, my father hasn't been their for me, for certain parts of my life. (4/5)

 For the Love of a Daughter by Demi Lovato Official

Skyscraper (Wizz Dumb Remix)
Here we have the remixed version of the first single "Skyscraper". It's has an R&B feeling to it. Drums and orchestral is a great addition. (4/5)

 Skyscraper [Wizz Dumb Remix] by Demi Lovato Official



Verdict
I have said before that I never checked for Demi's music and I hate to say, at one point I didn't think she could sing. This proves that she has raw talent. The album was very VERY impressive and I haven't stopped listen to since I bought my copy the other day. It's full emotion and it's relatable. I highly recommend this album, so go and pick up you copy of "Unbroken".

Overall Rating: (4/5)

Comments

Popular Posts