Album Review: Joe Jonas - Fastlife


Buy Joe Jonas - "Fastlife (Clean)" [Album] - HERE
Buy Joe Jonas - "Fastlife (Explicit)" [Album] - HERE

Joe Jonas released his first solo debut album on October 11, 2011. When I heard about the news of Joe's solo project, I wasn't really exited. Wasn't a fan of the Jonas Brothers, but I knew Joe was the best looking and had the best voice out of the other two. After his brother Nick went solo, you kinda knew in the back of your mind he would too.

He managed to Britney Spears collaborator Danja, Rob Knox, Chris Brown/Kevin McCall as writers, and many more. Check out the review, after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (3.5/5)
Lyrical Content: (2.5/5)
Production: (3/5)


All This Time
"All This Time" is a urban/pop upbeat love ballad. The lyrics are a little suggestive: "I put it right in your face, girl, it's yours all you gotta do is reach out and grab it". It puts your mind in the gutter a bit, but I like it. (4/5)


Just In Love
The song was produced by Rob Knox, Its cheesy and repetitive  (3.5/5)



See No More
I was disappointed to see it only peaked at # 92 on the Billboard Hot 100, because its a great song. I know Chris Brown co-wrote the song but his background vocals weren't needed. It was a urban/pop radio friendly track and should have been in at least the Top 20 hit. (5/5)



Love Slayer
"Love Slayer" is a mix of David Guetta and Justin Timberlake. Its sound like a European-techno type track from the UK. The thumping bassline though out was had me bumping my head up and down. (4/5)


Fastlife
I know I said the last track was a mix Justin Timberlake, but this is very Justin Timberlake-esque in the worst way possible. The song was produced by Rob Knox, mind you its sound like something that Timberland has done. (0/5)


Make You Mine
On this song, Joe is singing a little harder than the previous tracks, its a urban pop record. Within the first minute I was thinking about Adam Lambert, he could slay this song. (2/5)


Sorry
"Sorry" starts of with a nice guitar riff in the beginning, then the drums come in. Though it was going to be a really slow ballad. Joe is apologizing saying: "What can I do to tell you I"m sorry?" to a special lady in his life. It describes the break-up of the relationship that he once had and doesn't anymore. Its emotional vulnerable. I'm label this as one of my favorites. (4/5)


Kleptomaniac
The beat has a very heavy electronic sound. Similar to "Love Slayer", which also has an European vibe. The problem for me is not Joe its the production. Its over produced and to much is going on. (2/5)


Not Right No 
The beat sounds messy, the song's title is on repeat during the chorus. Which makes it annoying. In other words, its nothing special. (1/5)


Take It And Run
"Take It And Run" is a dark uptempo electronic-sounding. Way better than the last two shitty tracks above. (3.5/5)


Lighthouse
"Lighthouse" was co-written with Chris Brown and Kevin McCall, and was produced by Rob Knox. This is the most urban track on the album. Its simple, stripped down, and it stands out. Lyrically Chris  and Kevin did a great job writing the song. (5/5)


Just In Love [Remix] (Feat. Lil Wayne)
The album closer is a remix of "Just In Love" featuring Lil' Wayne. Its features as a bonus track on the album, he add anything to it to make me love it even more.




Verdict
Not bad for a first solo album, but were definitely some weak spots. This album didn't tell me who Joe is as a solo artist. The only thing it probably told me is that Justin Timberlake was a major influence..........who knows, but that's what I got from it. Another thing I notice was the beats over powering the lyrics and some of the lyrics wasn't grabbing me. For most of the songs, it seemed like he relied on beats to get him though.

In the end, it was in OK album, but wasn't blown away or impressed. Hopefully if he puts out a second solo album, he'll know he wants to define himself as a solo artist.

Overall Rating (3.5/5)

Comments

Popular Posts