Album Review: Brown Eyed Girls - Sixth Sense


Buy Brown Eyed Girls - "Sixth Sense" [Album] - HERE

After being on a two year hiatus, a comeback Brown Eyed Girls was the least expected. My anticipation for this album wasn't to good. The girls debuted back in 2006 with "Your Story" and follow-ups 2007's "Leave Ms. Kim" and 2009's "Sound G.".

With the release of "Abracadabra", it became a huge hit for the girls. It catapulted them in the right direction, compared to their previous stuff. "Sixth Sense" contains six new songs, one interlude, and one instrumental. Check out the review, after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (5/5)
Lyrical Content: (4/5)
Production: (5/5)


Swing It Shorty (Intro)
This intro is not like any other intro that you hear on albums. It showcases their vocal talent and makes you wonder what else your going to hear. I've been listening to K-Pop for almost a year now and have never heard this particular sound. This was 1920's jazz vibe with trumpets and saxophones in the mix. (4/5)



Sixth Sense
Before "Sixth Sense" came along I didn't like Brown Eyed Girls, but after listening to this I was sold. Miryo rapping in this is my favorite part. When I listen to it back, I sometimes fast forward it to that part. Other highlights of the song was when JeA hits that amazing high note at the end of Miryo's rap. After that Ga-In comes in with the whistle register and then Narsha takes over. I know this had to be the most challenging song that Brown Eyes Girls has done to date.



Hot Shot
"Hot Shot" is very Latin inspired. It also has a mixture of Jazz, Blues, and some pop elements. The backing vocals are amazing and sound very similar to Ga-In's solo song "Irreversible". (4/5)



La Boheme
It's a slow/fast paced song. I wasn't feeling it at first, but now it's growing on me. The beat is very warm and steady, which makes it different from the other songs on the album. (4/5)



불편한 진실 (Awkward Truths)
I don't have a lot to say about the song, but it is a beautiful. The lyrics are about a woman's feelings for a man who betrayed or destroyed their love. Out of all the tracks, this has the most emotion. (4/5)



Lovemotion
This one was boring me a bit. The vocals were simple, I thought they could have brought a little more. One thing that got repetitive was the peak of the song, where they were singing "nanananana" over and over again. (3/5)



Countdown (Interlude)
"Countdown" is definitely not a skipper, the harmonizing on here is out of this world. This is another jazz inspired track, the vocal arrangements are perfection. It makes you wish it was a full length song. (5/5)



Vendetta
"Vendetta" is edgy and is more in their comfort zone. It's catchy, fun and has an interesting mix of R&B/Rock. One thing noticeable, was the change of the tempo. I liked that a lot because it was unexpected. (4/5)




Verdict
Out of all the albums Brown Eyed Girls has released "Sixth Sense" is the best. I didn't really enjoy their previous work. With the exception of "Abracadabra", caused me to lose complete interest in them. I heard they were working on this album for years and were ready to comeback twice this year, but scrapped it. I guess what they had wasn't good enough. For them it was all about the timing and the style of music. The concept for the album, the music, everything for "Sixth Sense" came out just right.

Overall Rating: (4.9/5)

Comments

Popular Posts