[Single Review]: The Saturdays - Gentleman


Don't know about you, but for me The Saturdays music started to take a turn for the worst starting with their 2011 album "On The Radar". Not too say it didn't have some great tracks because it did, but not that many. When I heard "Gentleman", I literally though about wiping my hands with them, due to being unhappy about the music choices they're making.

Let's start with the music video shall we.

The video shows them all in a outside setting, hanging up clothes, mowing the lawn, working in the garden, and dressing as men. Rochelle was heavily pregnant at the time and was clear that they were trying to hide it as much as possible for this. The whole out door activity boring and pointless, like seriously what was the point of it?.............I'll wait. The close-up shots didn't do the video justice at all. The girls are obviously gorgeous, but the make-up put on them didn't look natural, it looked very cheap. Towards the end of the video the female and male versions come together. Those red dresses were a mess (with the exception of Mollie's and maybe Una), enough said. Some of them looked really good when they were dressed as men.


When it comes to the track itself, the lyrics are hilarious and not cute at all. Its a lot raunchier than any other song they have out. Some dirty lines were "you're not a lady if you're always on your knees", and "I let you taste my rainbow"

The song's major flaw is the horrible name-dropping rap at the end:

I need a Ryan Gosling, I need a Robert Pattinson / Somebody I can take to Mama, I need to find my Obama / I need a Jonas Brother and, how about a Denzel Washington? / I need a Kellen Lutz, and a Channing Tatum, throw 'em my way, I'll date 'em / I need a Drake, I need a Ludacris, I need a Wheezy, I don't care who he is / Heard 'em say I need a Kanye, he ain't a gentleman, but I'll have him anyway / George Clooney, Lamar Odom, Larry King, I like 'em older / All the gentleman from all around the world, holla at me, holla at me, let me be your girl

One of the lyrics in that rap didn't make any sense what so ever: "I need a Kanye, he ain't a gentleman, but I'll have him anyway". The song is about wanting a "Gentleman" right, he's not one, but they'll have him anyway. Is that contradicting or what?

Overall, not a fan of this at all. I understand wanting to change things up and not wanting to go the safe route, but this is a no no. The single debuted at #14 on the UK Single Chart, further proving it wasn't really liked among the fans. I say leave the shit off the upcoming new album. The ladies just released a new single titled "Disco Love" and like I stated before I love it, its a major step up from this trash.

Check out the singles B-Side "Wildfire", which sounds pretty good.


Comments

Popular Posts