Album Review: Natalia Kills - Perfectionist


Buy Natalia Kills - "Perfectionist" [Album] - HERE
Buy Natalia Kills - "Perfectionist (Deluxe Edition)" [Album] - HERE

Natalia Kills released her long awaited debut album "Perfectionist" on August 16th, 2011. The album is a 16 track collection full of power, emotion, and darkness. Natalia first caught my eye is when I heard "Zombie" and "Activate My Heart". From then on I was hooked on to her music and was interested in what she had to offer. There's were several that things unique about, her voice, style, the type of music she was making called  Dark Pop.

Perfection is what Natalia was aiming for, did she achieved goal? I'll leave that opinion up to you. To see what I think of it, check out my track-by-track review, after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (3.9/5)
Lyrical Content: (4/5)
Production: (4/5)


Perfection 
The is similar to what you would hear during a news announcement. It describes who she is and what's perfection is about. (3/5)



Wonderland
This track is definitely the that stands out the most. Lyrically, its very well written: "I'm not snow white, but I'm lost inside this forest / I'm not red riding hood / but I think the wolves have got me / Don't want your stilleto’s, I’m not Cinderella / I don't need a knight / so baby take off all your armor". "Wonderland was one of the best pop songs to come out in 2011, but sadly it didn't get attention that I think it should've gotten. (5/5)





Free (Feat. will.i.am) 
Hmmmmmm, where should I start. "Free" was my least favorite track, after will.i.am jumped on I began to hate it. His rap on it was sooooooo half assed and whack as hell. (1/5)



Kill My Boyfriend
When it premiered, didn't like it at first, but now its become one of my favorites. Its undeniably catchy, I love how the beat goes from sounding sweet/charming to being much heavier. "Kill My Boyfriend" was included on the US edition of "Perfectionist". When I listen to this, it has mainstream appeal to, just like "Mirrors" it didn't make a dent on the Billboard Charts. I really thought that this would introduce her to a way bigger audience. (5/5)




Break You Hard
"Break You Hard" leaked before the album made its way to stores. Theirs nothing bad to say about the song. The beat is very hard in your face and when she's singing the lyrics, you'll hear a lot of aggression. (4/5)




Zombie
The first buzz-single Natalia released was "Zombie". This is the shit that made me love her music from the start. Loving the heavy bass and of course the dark pop sound. For me this will never get old listen to. (5/5)




Love Is A Suicide

"Love Is A Suicide" was also featured in an episode of Natalia's web series 'Love Kills xx'. After a snippet was played, everyone anticipated it. Just like "Not In Love" this represents what her dark pop sound is. (4/5)




Mirrors
"Mirrors" was the first official single from "Perfectionist". The song peaked in the Top 5 in Germany and Austria, officially making it a hit single. At least those particularly countries, because here in America, it hardly got any attention. For that I blame the record label Cherrytree Records for the lack of promotion. (4.5/5)





Not In Love
Another one of my favorites, the song is slow and has a dark haunting mood. If you listen closely Martin Kierszenbaum provides backing vocals in the chorus, he produced to track as well. The guitar riff in the beginning gotten my attention quickly, I was all ears after that. (5/5)



Acid Annie
The intro in the beginning reminds me too much of Lady Gaga's phone message that she left to the police in her music video for "Paparazzi". Natalia says: "911, what is your emergency? .…There"s been an accident!". That's the only turn off for me, besides the phone intro, its an alright song. It originally wasn't supposed to be on "Perfectionist", but was added to the updated the tracklisting. Is it single material?......Nope. (4/5)




Superficial
Before the album came, a snippet of "Superficial" was played on one of her "Love Kills xx" episodes. Just by that small preview, I knew that I would love it when I heard the full audio. The chorus is really catchy and can be addictive. The lyrics are simple and isn't forgettable. Just one negative though, in some parts of the song the synths used sounds too similar to ones used in "Break You Hard". (4.5/5)



Broke
I love both the lyrics and the beat, its something that you could sit around a camp fire and sing along to. She sings: "If I had a dime for every single time / you ever made me cry / I'd be a millionaire". Natalia display awesome vocals thought out the song. (4.5/5)




Heaven
A very heartfelt and touching song. "Heaven" is about Natalia's grandfather passing away. Don't have that much to say about it. (3/5)




Nothing Lasts Forever
I have a question? Why the hell wasn't this made a single, I would've chosen this to be the third single instead of "Free". The Jeff Bhasker produced song is incredibly catchy and has dark and dramatic vibe. (5/5)




If I Was God
Natalia asks herself a very interesting question........ if I was God what would I change? She did state that this was one of her favories from the album, i can;t say the same. Theirs nothing wrong with the beat, its just the lyrics is not doing it for me. (2.5/5)




Free
Like said before the song is boring and not a great what so ever. In this case, If I had to choose between the two, I would listen to this one. (1.5/5)





Verdict
Natalia Kills has a really distinct and attention grabbing sound, the only problem is that she's isn't receiving recognition at all. Her damn album, which is a good one, debuted at #134 on the Billboard 200 album  chart. I mean their are some loyal fans/stans out that are standing by her, but their are three reasons I think her and other artists are not given a chance. One being the record label not backing artists (Promotion, ect.), two the media isn't giving them any hype like they do for Beyonce, Rihanna, or Lady Gaga and three the public are just not giving them the time or the day.

I heard she's working on her second studio album, hopefully she gets that global success the next time around.

Overall Rating: (4.5/5)

Comments

Popular Posts