Album Review: 2NE1 - 2nd Mini-Album


Buy 2NE1 - 2nd Mini-Album [EP] - HERE

2NE1 ("twenty-one" or "to anyone"), is a dance-pop/hip-hop group consisting of four girls: CL, Minzy, Dara, and Bom. The group makes their returns to K-pop with their second mini album after the release of their successful album "To Anyone".

2NE1 are one of few artists that out, that has the ability to change their musical styles without losing the original concept. You can't say these girls don't have signature style. Every song and music video was released months before the actually album. I have to say the production and songwriting from Teddy is beyond phenomenal. This is 2NE1's best set of music released to date.


Vocal Delivery: (5/5)
Lyrical Content: (4.5/5)
Production: (5/5)


I Am The Best
The opening track "I Am the Best" is a strong and unique. The song has interesting hooks and an addicting beat. The "bom ratatata ratatatatata" and "naega jeil jal naga" easily gets stuck on your mind. The song is about being better than other people. This is one of the best K-pop singles released so far this year. (5/5)


Ugly
"Ugly" is an most uplifting and heartbreaking on the album. The song brings really brings out Dara's voice the best. Out of all the members she has the weakest voice and to hear her sound this good, it's amazing. I'am an America, so to see that their putting more English into their music is fantastic. The chorus is another high point of the song. If you listen to it, its sung entirely in English: "I think I'm ugly, and nobody wants to love me/Just like her I wanna be pretty, I wanna be pretty/Don't lie to my face, tellin' me I'm pretty". (5/5)


Lonely
I'm so use to 2NE1 uptempo songs, so "Lonely" was expected. 2NE1 released their first ballad "It Hurts" last year on their full length album "To Anyone". By far I like "Lonely" the most. CL's delivers her vocals the best. Dara's did a good job, but the vocals weren't great. Minzy's and Bom's were great as usual. The lyrics are about being in a relationship with someone, but you still feel lonely. (5/5)


Hate You
"Hate You" is creative, catchy, and repetitive like "I Am The Best" but its not annoying. Each member lends their different and unique voices to the track. Their was an animated music video released for the song, that fit really well. (4.5/5)


Don't Cry
"Don't Cry" is Park Bom's solo track and the follow up to her first solo song 2009's "You & I". Which was another piano ballad. When it starts, it makes you think its going to be another sad ballad, but after the first verse the beat gets stronger: "It's okay baby please don't cry". Bom is a banging ass vocalist, she a very unique tone. At some point down the line, I really want to hear more solo material from her. (4/5)


Don't Stop The Music
"Don't Stop the Music" has some auto-tune, which a bit distracting at times. Overall its a good closer for the album. (3.5/5)



Verdict
The most noticeable thing I've heard on this is the lack of the "auto-tune". I was extremely happy about that, because the last album had a whole bunch of it. On this Mini-Album, they reached their full potential as vocalists (Lonely & Ugly). This music has a variety of genres: pop, hip-hop, rock, dance, so I think anyone could listen to it. Theirs no doubt that 2NE1 is the baddest, fiercest female group not in just Korea, the WORLD.


Overall Rating: (5/5)

Comments

Popular Posts