Album Review: Nicola Roberts - Cinderella Eyes


Buy Nicola Roberts - "Cinderella's Eyes" [Album] - HERE (UK)

Nicola Roberts is the third member from Girls Aloud to release a solo album. Ever since Girls Aloud took their hiatus in 2009, Cheryl Cole has released two successful generic solo albums, Nadine Coyle put out a very good album, but it flopped. Now Nicola has officially released her masterpiece album titled "Cinderella's Eyes" filled with some honest, strong, confident, and feisty pop songs.

Nicola recruited various produces like Dimitri Tikovoi, Diplo, Dragonette, The Invisible Men, and Metronomy's Joseph Mount.


Vocal Delivery: (3.5/5)
Lyrical Content: (3.5/5)
Production: (4/5)


Beat Of My Drum
"Beat of My Drum" is the first single lifted from Nicola's debut album, it was produced by Diplo. It was a good track, it has a mixture Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl", but it doesn't really stand out compared to the rest of the album. It didn't perform well on the charts, but its catchy. (3.5/5)


Lucky Day
The second single "Lucky Day" sounds very modern. Once the catchy chorus comes in, I sing along with it. This song is great. (4/5)


Yo-Yo
The piano led track "Yo-Yo" is the best ballad on the album, the chorus contains some unforgettable lyrics. Usually when I hear something repetitive, its gets on my nerves, but this literally stuck on my mind. "Don't want to be the last to know-oh-oh-oh, will it be a yes or no-o-o-o, you're swinging me up, your swinging me down, I feel like a Yo-Yo Yo-Yo Yo-Yo" (4/5)

 Nicola Roberts - Yo-Yo by Jorjetto

Cinderella's Eyes
When I listened to the preview for this, I didn't think it would be what I had expected to be. Its nice but its not my cup of tea. (2.5/5)

Porcelain Heart
When I first heard this, I loved it right off the bat. This was the B-Side for "Beat Of My Drum" and should have been the first single. I didn't think it would make the album, thankfully it did, because it sounded like an album track, not a leftover. Towards the end, the belting of "HEAAAAARRRRRRT" was amazing, but scared me a bit because it came out of nowhere. (5/5)

I
I listen to the preview of this and loved it, after hearing it in full I love it even more. The lyrics are honest and well written. "I don't like nasty words they hurt me like you'd never know / But don't think I won't put a smiley face on and do the show… don't like people who leave comments on the internet / They preach they’re perfect while killing you with intellect". (5/5)

Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime
"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime" is a cover of the 1980′s song by The Korgis. Haven't the heard the song before period, so this is kinda new to me. Didn't think it fits to well with the rest of the album, but it sound good. (4/5)

 Everybody's Got to Learn Sometimes by RockerAV95

Say It Out Loud
For some reason I can imagine Coldplay singing this record. I just get that vibe from it. Anyway its a great track and it's single material. (5/5)

 Say It Out Loud by RockerAV95

Gladiator
I can say, that don't care too much for this song. It has an throwback 80's vibe to it. Can't really pen point what I don't like about. (2/5)

Fish Out Of Water
"Fish Out of Water" is another one that I'm not feeling too much. I'm not into the beat at all. (2/5)

Take A Bite
"Take A Bit" is not my favorite track, but it sounds good. The best part of the song would have to be rap, which is amazing. "Sit back and grab a cup of tea, I'm gonna kick your ass now in 3D"/ "When I got down to London with the press on my case, cos I didn't walk round with smile on my face. Call me a rude ginger bitch, and say I bought bigger tits, they gonna eat all their words they're talking absolute shit". (3/5)

Sticks + Stones
"Sticks + Stones" is an honest and heartfelt track. It pretty much tells you about Nicola's story of being bullied when she was younger. One of the most emotional songs on the album. (4/5)




Verdict
Nicola's solo album is unique and original in its own way. The album showcases Nicola's vocal range and her as a songwriter. Every song tells a story, some are personal some are just fun songs that would brighten up your day.

Overall Rating: (4/5)

Comments

Popular Posts