Album Review: Girls' Generation - The Boys


Buy Girls' Generation - "The Boys" [Album] - HERE/ iTunes - HERE
Buy Girls' Generation - "The Boys (US Single)" [EP] - HERE

Girls' Generation spent the majority of 2011 conquering Japan, with a debut album release and tour. Both proved to be a major successes. The girls released their third studio album titled "The Boys" on October 19th. It was the first release since their 2010 full-length album "Hoot".

"The Boys" will receive a US release though SM Entertainment later this year (2012). Check out my review, after the jump.

Vocal Delivery: (3/5)
Lyrical Content: (3/5)
Production: (2/5)


The Boys
On the first listen, I automatically loved it. The girls brought attitude and made you as they said "make 'em feel the heat". "The Boys" has a much harder sound to it. Its a upbeat R'n'B/Pop song that's catchy as hell, but I will say I prefer the English version. (5/5)




Telepathy (텔레파시)
"Telepathy" is soooooo 80's pop in a big way. You clearly hear the very heavy synthesizers, mixed in with a fun beat. This is the sound that makes up about 90% of Girls Generation's music, which is why I only like about 10% of it. If I'm not mistaking, did the girls mispronounce the word "telepathy", because it sure did sound like it. In the end, I can't get into it. (2/5)



Say Yes
A fun girly song, honestly I wouldn't go back and play this for second, third, fourth time and so on. The English intro was cute, but as a hole this song isn't my style. (1/5)



Trick
"Trick" is much more mature than the two previous tracks. The high and low vocal delivery in the verses gives it a great twist. Girls Generation needs to record more of this European/club ready tracks. It fits their voices very well. (5/5)



How Great Is Your Love (봄날)
Good ballad, but its nothing groundbreaking. "How Great is Your Love" is a pretty ballad with beautiful vocals. I don't have a lot to say about it, besides its just nice. (3/5)



My J
The beat itself in "My J" sounds like holiday/Christmas record. Can't say that I like it a lot. (1/5)



Oscar
"Oscar" starts off in a aggressive nice way. This is another song that I liked right off the bat. Just like "The Boys", its mixed with R'n'B, pop, and some rock. The beat is addictive and lyrics is creative, for example the opening of the chorus: "It's twinkle twinkle up in the sky / My O-S-C-A-R / The superstar you've been waiting for". (5/5)



Top Secret
 "Top Secret" is very James Bondish. I'll go as far and say it has a bit of soul. It's not original, but its still listenable. (3/4)



Lazy Girl
Yet another girly sounding track with a retro sound this time. I would give "Lazy Girl" another listen, more than "Say Yes". Overall its just ok. (2.5/5)



Sunflower (제자리걸음)
"Sunflower" is slower than the other ballad "How Great Is Your Love". When I started to listen, I got a bit bored. It starts to pick up, halfway into the song. Basically the beat was lagging, the lyrics was fine. (3/5)



Vitamin (비타민)
I can't say how I feel about this one. It feels like I heard this before, maybe it sounds similar to one of the other tracks. I don't have anymore words for this one. (2/5)



Mr. Taxi (Korean version)
Very simple song for me. This was the lead Japanese single from their debut album released in Japan. I don't like anymore than I did on the other version. (2/5)



The Boys (English Version)
Like I mentioned earlier, I like the English version better. Their pronunciation was on point, I could understand them pretty well. Some of them are fluent in English, so I'm guessing they didn't have any problems. With out a doubt one of my top 5 tracks. (5/5)





Verdict
When it comes to Girls' Generation music, I love it and hate it. This fourth studio album has its moments of greatness, but lacking a lot. "TRICK", "Oscar", "The Boys" was the very few good tracks, the biggest problem for me was the shit loads of album fillers. I don't understand how SM Entertainment could invest all this money and time on giving us an EXCELLENT debut Japanese album and then turn around put out this. That Japan debut contained some of the best songs, they've recorded in their career. It was a best seller with great songs like "You-aholic", "The Great Escape", and "Bad Girl". The quality of those songs are beyond fantastic.

Regardless of what the music sounds like, it still managed to sell 227,994 copies in the first two weeks. In all, the album "The Boys" is not my favorite piece of work they've done.

Overall Rating: (3/5)

Comments

Popular Posts