Rain makes a double comeback with "30 Sexy" + "La Song"


Korean pop star Rain is back after being away for about four years.

The singer returned with two title tracks from his new album "30 Sexy" and "La Song". I've always knew of Rain, but never really took the effort into listening to his music, so this is the first time I'm actually taking a listen to it.



"30 Sexy" is a mid-tempo track with funky Prince/Justin Timberlake inspired production, Rain utilizes his falsetto in a lot of the song (he uses it a little too much). As for the meaning, I take it as him saying he's over 30 and can still get down and dirty. It could be an anthem to all the fans who are at that age range or even older. The visual was pretty much a dance video with single and close-up shots. Judging by that statement, you would probably think I'm trying to say it was boring. It actually wasn't, their was both male/female dancers and they were getting down including Rain in a dark lite room.

In "La Song" I loved the instrumental, after I heard him sing the lyrics, that's where it all started to go down hill for me. The composition and production doesn't mesh well with each other at certain times. Rain sings the first verse, then does a rap for the second verse and you can hear a bit of straining in his voice. The constant "lalalala lalala" in the chorus gets stuck in your head for while, haven't even listen to this in weeks and when I think about it that what pops up. Just like "30 Sexy" this has a funk vibe with a mixture brass instruments and electric guitar. Good tune for clubs, because that's where this could be a real crowd pleaser amongist all the drinks gettin passed around. In the end, I like the song and then I don't like song. It's catchy and repetitive, but can be annoying based on the negatives I talked about earlier. As for the video, I don't care for it and didn't give it a second look since watching it the first time. One thing I will clap my hands to is the fact that he some diversity. Diversity, meaning he had international fans included in the visual. Besides noticing a giant party being held, I really don't get the video overall.

I liked what he brought to the table. I found nothing wrong with "30 Sexy", but wished a little more thought would have been put into the song and video for "La Song". Could have been much more stronger, since this was his long-awaited comeback to music.


Comments

Popular Posts