Album Review: Namie Amuro - FEEL


Namie Amuro released her eleventh studio album "FEEL" on July 10th under Avex's new Dimension Point label. Its been one year since the release of "Uncontrolled", Namie's previous album. Before it hit selves, it spawned three single including: "Big Boys Cry", "Contrail", and "Hands On Me". It was no surprise to see the album top Oricon charts and sell over 111,458 copies sold with the FIRST day. Wow, she's been in the music industry for 20 years now and her relevance's don't seem to be fading.

Here is my review of Namie Amuro's new album "FEEL". Keep in mind, this is the first time I've ever listened to one of her albums.

Check out the review, after the jump.


Alive
This is a perfect track to open the album with. "Alive" starts with some haunting lyrics over a mysterious synth beat. As the song progresses, the beats starts building up to the catchy chorus line "Feel, feel, feel......to make feel alive". Like many songs on the album, this one was sung completely in English. Compared to her pronunciation on last years album "Uncontrolled", its gotten a lot better. (5/5)


Rainbow
After riding of the high of "Alive", the next track "Rainbow". It's a dance song as well, but very simple. Their were some weak spots in the production and wasn't feeling it. The dub-step elements is what kept it interesting. (2/5)


Can You Feel This Love
"Can You Feel This Love" has a positive vibe and message. Its one of those songs, where you would want go out on a sunny day and take a walk. Overall a cute song. (3.5/5)


Big Boys Cry
I fucking L-O-V-E love "Big Boys Cry". The song screams fun and you get a cheerful feeling from it. The beat is different and not too common. With combining the flute, marching band drum, claps, finger snaps and lyrics, it an awesome sing-along track. The main-chorus would have to be the most anticipating lyric in this. "I do what I what I do what I like / Pushing up right on it 'til them big boys cry / I do what I want I do what I like / Keep this party rocking 'til the end of time". (5/5)


Hands On Me
My second favorite track from the whole album, "Hands On Me" is dancefloor jam for the Summer. The chorus makes you want to get up and shake your ass, especially during the instrumental break down. This particular track contained more of a beat more than vocals/lyrics, but that's OK. Based on the fact the song was great, I can look over that little issue. (5/5)


Heaven
Wasn't too fond of "Heaven" when I first heard it. I know I praised Namie's English on "Alive", but some of her pronunciation in this was horrible (In the end I can't knock her for trying). Another thing I noticed was the straining in her voice toward the end of the choruses. She's a fantastic singer, theirs no need to over do it. The raps were pretty good, the delivery was on point. The beat was overpowering, theirs a lot shit I could hear going on and at times it drowned out the vocals. Have to say their were a quite bit of flaws. (2/5)


Poison
If you mix EDM (Electronic Dance Music) with Pop, a little bit of Hip-Hop, and crazy synths you get "Poison". Its another club banger with a whole lot of attitude. Now, I have a certain opinion about the use of the vocoder/autotune in music. Rarely do I like it being used on the vocals and this track would have been totally fine without it. Besides that negative, its a hype ass song. (4/5)


La La La
We have another English-only track "La La La", and its too damn short. The synths in the beginning got my attention as soon as I pressed play. Its a dance song, but much more on the relaxed side unlike "Poison", which is upbeat. This song is definitely catchy and even has a reggae vibe, I guess that's why it gives me an relaxing feeling. I sooooooo wish it was longer. (4.5/5)


Supernatural Love
"Supernatural Love" is the second track with the use of autotune and the vocoder, with "Poison" being the first. The amount used was just absurd, regardless of whether it had those effects or not, the track is a filler. Listened to it a couple of times and could not get into it. (1/5)


Let Me Let You Go
After nine uptempo dance tracks, she slows it down with a break-up ballad  "Let Me Let You Go". Namie's vocals blends very well the strings and piano arrangement. Its jam packed with lots of emotion and has some heartfelt lyrics, which can be relatable to anyone. (4/5)


Contrail
"Contrail" an inspirational type of track that's not a ballad, but has some cheery refreshing synths melodies. The chorus is explosive, for me it seriously filled me up with hope and joy. If you read the English translation is about enjoying life and living it to the fullest. I think this is song for anybody whose going through a tough time. (5/5)


Stardust In My Eyes
My feelings toward the last song on the album "Stardust In My Eyes" are half and half. It kicks off slowly with some light synths and then goes into a much faster beat. Namie also utilizes the softer side of her voice is soft again. The album started off strong with the first track and it kinda ends falling flat. I can take it or leave it. (2.5/5)



Conclusion
"FEEL" is the first album that I've EVER listened to by Namie, so I can't compare this to her last album "Uncontrolled" and tell you (in my opinion) which was better. From researching her music career, she's known as the 'Queen of Hip-Pop'. Based on the heavy dance influence put in the music, I think the title 'Queen of Dance-Pop' would be more fitting LOL. But anyway, the music was fantastic and I'm loving catchy uptempo tracks. I wasn't expecting a lack of balance, meaning their were tons of upbeat tracks and technically only one ballad. The coupling track to the "Big Boys Cry" single called "Beautiful" is a great ballad and could have been thrown in to the mix, but what can you do. Their were excessive vocal effects, not too much on "Poison", but a huge amount was used on "Supernatural Love". Veryyyyyy unneeded. As you know the album includes English-only tracks for the most part I enjoyed (my favorite being "Alive"). On one or two songs, her pronunciation was off especially on "Heaven" or as she says "HAIRPOON". On this particular album, Namie experimented with a whole lot English language music. It could symbolize a possible debut or crossover into other markets. Their were rumors going around, saying that "Alive" would be the first international single. 

To bring the review to close "FEEL" is an album that I'll continue to keep on replay, just because its that damn good.

Overall Rating: (5/5)

Vocal Delivery: (4.5/5)
Lyrical Content: (5/5)
Production: (4/5)

Comments

Popular Posts